Sunday 28 August 2011

Pied Piper





The Pied Piper is one fairytale that Disney left well alone. At first it seems an innocent enough tale, the piper saves the town from a plague of rats but its later on in the story that it takes a darker turn. When the townspeople foolishly refuse to pay the piper he plays a second tune which, like the rats, the children must follow. He takes them into a cave under the mountain and shuts the entrance up behind them.



For this cowl I am taking my inspiration from the Medieval roots of the tale. I will be using Sari Silk yarn as a base in rich vibrant colours of the Piper's clothing and mixing it in with lace, bone, coins and velvet, all the trappings associated with the money that the villagers refused to pay. I may line the cowl with red, maroon or black velvet to add warmth and richness to the piece but I will have to finish the crochet before I decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment